Wednesday, July 21, 2004

Differences

Tony at the Vegblog and I are probably exact opposites in almost everything. He is a vegetarian, atheist, liberal who listens to Michael Savage (go figure). I am a meat-eating, Christian, conservative who listens to Medved and Hewitt (Buy his new book, featured in the sidebar!)

One thing we have in common is a passion to express our views. Like myself, Tony uses facts to back up his position. We may get our "facts" from disagreeing sources, but neither one of us pretends to be objective or unbiased in our views.

I don't know Tony, other than through blogging, but I respect him for the way he addresses issues we are finding important today. I strongly believe our future depends upon our ability to exchange very different ideas, even if they go against everything we believe in. It is not to say you must accept notions opposite from your own, but we must be willing to listen.

Realize a simple truth - America is great in spite of our diverse citizenry - not so much because of it.

Every four years, we engage in our form of tribal warfare; only no one gets killed, martial law is not declared, and we go on with our lives without much change from the day before.

Tony and I disagree on much, but I also learn things by reading his views. Bloggers like me spend the vast majority of our time preaching to the choir. On the other hand, Tony may learn something from you too. There are a lot of reformed liberals doing conservative talk radio these days. :)

I encourage you to visit Tony's site. Take off your shoes before you go in and respect his house.

1 Comments:

At 9:44 AM, Blogger Politically Homeless said...

Its a danger for people all over the political spectrum to only read and listen to people who agree with us. What we need is more dialogue between people of differing ideologies who care about this country.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home